October 30, 2005

Alkmaar, The Cheese Market


Take off to Alkmaar to see my brother’s family. My nephew is now 10 years old and very good looking boy. He doesn’t know me at all (I think). We go around the old-city, cheese-market and enjoy the Gelati ice-cream with some pate’. Visited real fish market (photo). It was a good experience. I'm loving it here...

What do you call a group of dairy longshoremen who put on white uniforms, don straw hats with colored ribbons, and carry wheels of cheese to and from a 14th Century weighhouse on wooden barrows suspended from their shoulders?
In Alkmaar, they're referred to as "cheese porters" (or the Dutch equivalent), and members of their various guilds have been helping to bring cheese buyers and sellers together for at least 600 years.
Today's Alkmaar Cheese Market is more show than substance, if only because Dutch cheesemaking has been a mass-market industrial operation since the 1960s.