January 05, 2006

GRASSE, the city of perfume


GRASSE, France: We went to Molinard, the perfume factory, tour around the museum, 2 hours long; learn the French History and how they started the perfume.

At first it’s for the leather use, because in the 12th century, people started to wear animal skin (leather) as their attire and it didn’t have a good smell. So they started putting perfume on the leather. Later, there was water pollution and French cannot take a bath. So it started sing for the human skin. Also learnt about the chronology and pyramid of perfumes. Now I know the difference between “eau de toilette”, “cologne” and perfume. The entire distilling process from raw materials to the final products. AMAZING! I also learnt about the stories behind the olden days bottling, labeling and modern packaging. Type of flowers, spices, musk, roots, bulks, which forms the base, heart and top.

Raymond and I got a chance to make our own perfume in their lab. There is a professional called “The NOSE” which normally takes 7 years to complete the course but years to get famous. Very good pay. With 17 different assents and proper measurements…..

Raymond named his perfume his last name and I named my perfume, my first name. We both got “Diplome Atelier De Tarinologie” each from Molinard. Another good thing to hang on the wall, I guess.

Wow… I like learning like this. With a minimal cost (Euro 40/each) we end up with tons of knowledge and one-personalized perfume each. Mine is “fresh” scents mostly. Raymond chooses “fruity & sweet” scent.